EXTENDED DEADLINE: 18 MARCH
The 10th Annual Small Cinemas Conference will take place at ICS-ULisboa in Lisbon, Portugal, between 25 and 27 September 2019. On the topic of ‘Small Cinemas, Small Spaces’, the conference will be centered on issues of scale and spatiality in film, with the aim to explore the geographies of small cinemas. The call for papers is open for individual presentations of maximum 20 minutes, as well as for pre-constituted panels with a maximum of three presentations each. Proposals should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 18 March 2019, and include a title, an abstract of maximum 250 words, and a short bio note. The conference’s languages will be English and Portuguese.
‘Small Cinemas, Small Spaces’ aims to discuss matters of space in the cinemas of small nations, with regards to representation, the materiality and marketing of film locations, and film production, viewing and exhibition practices in peripheral film cultures. The event also wishes to bring together scholars exploring notions of space and scale in film, by considering what can be the small spaces of cinema, from early cinematic attractions to the recent dissemination of individual screens and broadcasting digital platforms.
Topics for discussion may include, but are not limited to:
- the geographies of film: how space and time are articulated in small cinemas
- representations of space in peripheral or marginal cinemas
- spaces and scales of film production, e.g. costume and set design in small cinemas
- film locations in small nation cinemas
- exhibition venues and viewing practices in small nations
- audiences’ experiences of minor cinemas
- small spaces for film exhibition
- the emergence of film societies as alternatives to the ‘large’ mainstream
- smartphones, tablets or other devices as cinematic spaces
- cinema and scale in Youtube and other digital platforms
- making films for small spaces
More information about confirmed keynote speakers, see here.
For any questions, please write to the conference organizers at email@example.com.
Registration fee will be a maximum of €50, which includes lunch and coffee breaks.